Why Do Dogs Like BEER So Much?

Have you ever been enjoying a beer after a long day and noticed your dog taking a sudden interest in your icy brew?

This is relatively common. Many dogs really like drinking beer, but it does leave you wondering why that is. The beer smells good to some humans, but what is it about beer that gets your dog’s attention?

Dogs like beer because of the sweet taste of alcohol. The smell and taste of a beer are just as appealing to a dog as to a human. However, alcohol is dangerous to dogs even when given in small amounts since dogs are highly susceptible to alcohol poisoning. You should not give your dog beer.

This article will discuss why it’s not healthy for your dog to consume beer, what happens to dogs who drink alcohol, and if dogs can get drunk.

Is It Good for Dogs To Drink Beer?

If your dog seems to really enjoy beer, it may seem harmless to allow them just a little drink. However, it’s essential that you, as the owner, are aware of the significant health risks involved with dogs ingesting alcohol of any kind.

It is not good for dogs to drink beer. Dogs are drawn to the taste and smell of beer, but alcoholic beverages are very toxic for canines. Even a small amount of alcohol can result in your dog getting alcohol poisoning, developing neurological issues, and even dying.

Though not all dogs will instantly get sick, have a seizure, or develop brain damage, it’s important never to put your dog in a situation where this could happen. A dog should NEVER be allowed to drink a beer.

UNLESS it’s a non-alcoholic beer that is specially brewed for dogs. So if your dog loves drinking beer, take a look at this video:

 

What Happens if Your Dog Drinks Some Beer

We briefly touched on some of the terrible things that can happen to a dog that has drank beer or other alcoholic beverages, but let’s take a moment to go over some of the symptoms you should be watching for.

Things that can happen to a dog that has ingested beer include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Lethargy
  • Decreased coordination
  • Tremors
  • Shallow breathing
  • Seizures
  • Unconsciousness
  • Brain damage
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Hypotension
  • Death

As you can see, the consequences of your dog getting into a bottle of beer can be pretty severe.

How quickly and intense your dog’s symptoms of alcohol poisoning come on will be highly dependent on their size and how much beer they ingested.

However, no matter the dog’s size, if they have drunk some beer and are showing any of the symptoms above, you should seek a veterinarian’s help.

If you are in financial difficulty and are worried about vet bills, this website has useful resources for charities to help you pay your bills. (If you don’t live in the US, you can use Google to find similar help in your country).

NOTE – You may like to read this post about why dogs like dear antlers so much.

Can a Dog Get Drunk?

Like some people, some dogs seem to take a keen interest in a cold bottle of beer. However, just because your pup wants some doesn’t mean it’s healthy for them. Another common question related to canines and alcohol is if a dog can actually get drunk.

Dogs can get drunk. Dogs are much smaller than humans and therefore more easily able to get drunk due to their blood alcohol levels being so much lower. Even small amounts of beer can result in a dog getting drunk and even getting alcohol poisoning. 

So yes, dogs can get drunk, but they should never be put in that situation. Dogs don’t have the cognitive ability to know that alcohol will damage their bodies, so it’s the owner’s job to take the proper steps to keep them safe.

How To Prevent Alcohol Poisoning in Your Dog

So if you have a dog that likes the taste of beer, what is the best way to keep them safe from alcohol poisoning?

  1. Keep beer out of reach. Store your beer somewhere your dog can’t knock the bottles over and spill them, especially if they have already been opened. Dogs have very little self-control and will consume an entire beer if left alone with one.
  2. Promptly clean up any spills. Never allow your pup to lick up spilled beer, even if it’s a tiny amount, as they can still get sick from small sips of alcohol. Not to mention it’s essential to teach them that it’s not a drink for dogs.
  3. Ask friends and family to responsibly store their alcohol when they are over. It’s important to let your guests know not to set their beer on the ground or low surfaces when over. Instead, all alcohol should be placed on countertops, in a fridge, or a closed cooler.

Ultimately you as the owner are responsible for keeping your dog safe from common household hazards such as beer. It’s not too difficult to do this, and it’s important for your dog’s health.

How To Treat Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog has somehow managed to drink some beer (or other alcohol), you should keep a close eye out for any signs of illness, and if they appear, you should call your local vet right away.

The beginning signs of alcohol poisoning are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Drooling
  • Shallow breathing
  • Any strange or unusual behavior

Every dog will be different, and some will be more prone to developing these symptoms from a smaller amount of beer. Size dramatically affects how quickly and violently your dog will fall ill from alcohol.

However, no matter the size of your pup, if they manage to drink some beer and show signs of being unwell, you should seek veterinary attention.

Some of the effects of alcohol poisoning cannot be reversed, such as brain damage, and it’s unfair to put your pup in that situation. So if you suspect they have ingested even a little alcohol, it’s best to consult a vet.

Final Notes On Dogs That Like Drinking Beer

The reason dogs like beer is due to the sweet taste of the alcohol, but unlike humans, the side effects are much worse for dogs.

Therefore, it’s important that you NEVER give your dog beer or other forms of alcohol.

However, if you think they have drank some and are showing signs of being unwell, please get them to help immediately. Untreated alcohol poisoning can result in brain damage and even death in dogs.

Leave a Comment